For those students who were really listening and beginning to grasp the ideas we were discussing, I think they were shocked. It was amazing to watch them grapple with this concept compared to the world in which they live. After our discussion I sent them back to draw a picture of their dream. Below is a video of some of them sharing their dreams. A few literally drew something they had dreamed about recently, some drew things they would really like to have happen to them, and some truly got the idea of drawing a visionary dream.
In case it's hard to follow what they are saying, here's a brief synopsis of each one.
- She wants everyone to have a special house (a shockingly profound dream in the current economy).
- He says, "All the persons be together, it doesn't matter which color of skin they have."
- He is talking about everybody being able to play together and help each other.
- He wants to say sorry to Martin Luther King (we had a brief discussion of his assassination because one student brought it up).
- She wants the world to be forgiven (I'm trying to follow up on this one to better understand her thinking, but I'm not sure yet).
- She drew herself and her friend finding lots and lots of gold.
- This is her in a rainbow spot.
- He is describing riding a horse and shooting a ghost.