Thursday, February 25, 2010

Parent Support is Critical

One of my more challenging students has really been giving us a run for our money recently. A couple of us went to her home to meet with her folks a few weeks ago. It was a good talk and, while I didn't think it would cause an overnight change, it felt hopeful.

Since then I've been writing a note in her homework agenda about her day each afternoon. Yesterday was a rough day and she was really rude so I wrote about that. She takes the note home and returns it to me the next day with a parent signature.

This morning it came back with a note. It says, "She promised me that she is going to be rude again."

I hope this is an issue with English not being the native language. If not, we're in trouble.

6 comments:

Teacher Tom said...

I hope so too!

I teach younger kids and I've often asked an out of control child, "Are you going to hit your friends?" And they'll answer, quite matter-of-factly, "Yes." So maybe you just received a very honest note . . . =)

Tracey said...

THE MOM IS PROBABLY BEING VERY HONEST!

Sandy said...

or maybe she just accidentally left out the word NOT! :)

Unknown said...

Hilarious! I love the story. I sometimes wish I saved all the notes I get from parents. They can get strange sometimes.

Mr. McGuire said...

I really am interested in a follow-up. Was the student successful in his quest to be rude? You just can't beat having parental support.

Jenny said...

We finally found something that motivates this little darling. She's been helping our librarian once or twice a day when she behaves. She rarely misses a chance to go. Thank goodness for our fabulous librarian!