Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thoughts on Common Core State Standards?

I spent the past three days in Salt Lake City thanks to The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I have so much to think about as a result (both from the conference and from all the amazing teachers there) but first I've got a question.
I teach in Virginia, one of only two states (I believe) that did not adopt the Common Core State Standards. As a result, I have to admit to having paid scant attention to them. I have, however, paid more attention to the reception of the CCSS in the media and from teachers, at least those on Twitter or Facebook. I've seen positive and negative reactions.
So, if you've taught the CCSS, what do you think? And, even more importantly, why do you think that?

It seems wrong to ask a question and then require that you go to another site to leave a comment, but I am trying to keep all the comments on the new site. Sorry! And thanks! So, head over to jenorr.com to share your thoughts.