Saturday, September 20, 2008

First Grade Funnies

First graders are amazing. Our phenomenal speech teacher pulled a small group of them this week and played bingo with them. Apparently they would burst into giggles at any little thing (or at nothing as it appeared to her). At one point they looked at an apple tree and erupted into uncontrollable laughter. She asked them about their giggles and they said, "Apples! On a tree!" It seems they couldn't fathom the idea of apples on a trees. They learn things we never expect.

During writing workshop I sat down with a little boy so that he could share his book with me. It was really quite a good book about seeing a comet and chasing it. At the end he makes a wish on it and then flies. Until the flying part it had seemed like a story that might have happened to him. So I asked him when it happened. He looked at me in utter disbelief and said, "It's a fahliction book."

1 comment:

The Science Goddess said...

Much to my surprise, I discovered last year that First Grade is my "happy place." I was only an instructional coach---not the classroom teacher---but I loved it. (And I have taught high school for most of my career.) Anytime I was having a rough day, 10 minutes with first graders was all that was needed to make the world better.

I'm SO jealous of you.