Sunday, May 01, 2011

Chicks and Writing

Tomorrow I'm taking our chicks into my classroom. Several weeks ago our family got four little chicks, temporarily. We do a CSA through the summer and the farm offers chicks as well. This year we went for it. We got four chicks (apparently they are very social animals so you have to take at least four), some food, and Farmer Bob's booklet about caring for them. Next weekend we will return them to the farm (where I believe they will live long lives providing eggs, so don't disillusion me). They are quickly becoming chickens and we can't have those at our home, both for legal reasons and our sanity.

I know my first graders will love having the chicks visit. I chose a Monday because it's a short day so the chicks won't disrupt learning as much as they might on another day. In addition, I hope that the students will be excited enough about the chicks to want to write about them this week.

My oldest daughter, a second grader, has been writing about them on a blog. Lots of wonderful friends have left her comments and she is loving it. I want my students to see that and to see the excitement. Then maybe they will write about the chicks (or other things) for our school newspaper.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I remember reading somewhere that you have to have more than a few chickens because "they need something to cluck about." Hen party, indeed.

Alex T. Valencic said...

I love that your children have a blog! I think that when I have my own classroom, I will have a class blog that the students write, with minimal support from me.

Jenny said...

Tara, I can easily believe that. When we wake up each morning it is just as noisy inside our house with cheeping as it is outside. This has been a blast, but I won't be too sad to see these chicks return to the farm.

Alex, Having the kids write is wonderful! Our class blog is something I'm still working on. I haven't been able to let myself fully turn it over to the kids yet. I hope to figure out a way to make that work next year. Good luck!

Sarah said...

What a fun idea! I've always wanted to do this in our classroom but haven't figured out how to yet! Hope it produces some fantastic writing :)

Customized Essay said...

Nice blog..Thanks for sharing..