Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pretty Obvious

A while back someone linked to this information about a study out of UVA. I've had it open in a tab ever since. Every once in a while I would look at it and it's been a good reminder to me.

The basic gist of the study is that students are more engaged when they have some autonomy. I know at first glance that is not shocking and is the sort of thing any teacher of any grade level could tell you. It certainly came as no surprise to me.

In spite of that fact, I'm grateful for the study. Autonomy is sadly lacking in many classrooms (including mine more often than I would like to admit) so having the evidence from this study is important. I am a strong believer in offering students choice (including in their spaces) and I appreciate anything that backs me up when trying to convince others.

No comments: