Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cords, Cords, and More Cords

For the first time this year I decided to really manage all the cords by my desk. I never worried about it with fourth and fifth graders, but I think it could be quite a temptation for these first graders. So I gathered them all and taped them up and away. (There are cords for my computer, printer, Smartboard, projector, speakers, iPod, and palm.) However, after the first few days I realized we needed to make a change in our meeting area. So I started over. About a week later I changed things again and did the cords again. Finally, last Friday I got rid of the desk I'd been using and switched to this one (it was a space saving decision) and started over with the cords yet again. I'm hoping this is the final time. At least they are out of the way of my students!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The key to cord organizing is to bundle -everything-. If you can't get those cool velcro (I mean, hook-and-loop fastener) straps, twist-ties (like you get on a bag of a loaf of bread) are great, and tape would probably work. Connect the cord, coil all the extra in a small tight coil in an out of the way spot, then bundle all the cables together, fastening the bundle several times through it's length.

Snippety Gibbet said...

They have the velcro straps at the Dollar Tree. Nice little pack of ten or so.

I rather like the taping idea as it puts them precisely where you want them. I do have some bundled with velcro, but I still trip all over the bundles.