Friday, August 29, 2008

Trading Spaces (Thanks to A Year of Reading)

Franki and Mary Lee at A Year of Reading have coordinated a share of our classroom spaces. I've planned to get my pictures posted for weeks now and am finally getting around to it. You'll notice from these pictures that the focus on literacy is important to me, not surprising in first grade. This is one bookshelf in our classroom library or book nook. We've got the other two bookshelves covered up right now to limit the number of books they are choosing from during reading workshop. I am still amazed at how many books my school provided for me for first grade.

These are the books we've read recently. I didn't have one of the really nice wooden display pieces for books that some classrooms have. Fortunately one of my teammates mentioned to me that I could buy these from Walmart for pretty cheap. I don't know if they'll hold up for more than a year, but I'm fairly happy with them.

This last picture is of one thing that is new to my classroom this year, a couch. It takes up a lot of space, but I love having such a warm, cozy spot in the room.

3 comments:

Michaele Sommerville said...

It looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I have to limit the amount of my books that I put out too, because thankfully, the kids would look through them ALL pretty quickly! I want them to revisit, find some favorites, etc. over the course of the year.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I put a couch in my classroom. We sold my husband's old one last year... shouldn't of.

Stella said...

I love the couch!!! who wouldn't want to read there? very cozy classroom!