Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Joy of Math

I'm amazed by what a teacher can learn simply by watching first graders work with manipulatives. I've learned about their understanding of shapes, physics, patterns, cooperation, and cleaning up. At the same time, they've been having an absolute blast. It will be an effort of mine to ensure that they have some time for exploring with various manipulatives throughout the entire year. I don't want them to lose the joy and the free learning that is happening in these pictures.





5 comments:

Julie Pippert said...

I can only hope my daughter's first grade is this good.

Tracey said...

Great Job!.....and on to week two!

Mandy said...

Your classroom is definitely coming together! The designs your kiddos made were great! I'm going to try self-directed exploration for the first time with my fifth graders this year. I hope they are as creative!

Aunt Julie said...

You know, my kids are really good at math, and their foundation for it started with blocks and structures--just elementary geometry, I guess. The funny thing is that my husband and I aren't very good at math at all! BTW, Uncle Lynn has authorized another Great Pop'rs Giveaway--it starts tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Those designs are amazing. Very impressive.