Thursday, August 14, 2008

Random Act of Kindness

My students have lunch at 10:40 everyday. We're the first class to go to lunch. It was fascinating to watch the parents' faces when I told them that at Back to School Night.

We arrived at the cafeteria today to find that lunch wasn't ready. Initially we were told they needed five more minutes. When they looked at the clock they revised that to say they needed two minutes. My students, antsy and bored, waited in line until they were let in. I'm still staying with them to help make sure they get through the line without trouble, an attempt to make life easier for the ladies in the cafeteria. As a result, I walked out of the cafeteria ten minutes into my thirty minute lunch break. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated. (Thank you for indulging my need to whine about this.)

On my way back to my classroom to eat, check email, and read some blogs I stopped by the office to check my mailbox. I found an envelope from Kristen in my box. I've never met her and have only had online contact for the past few months. She's one of the few primary grade teachers who blogs that I've found and greatly enjoyed. She's offered me a lot of support and encouragement as I've begun my adjustment to first grade.

I opened the envelope and found a CD full of songs for first grade. It was such a kind, generous act. I'm continually impressed with how much teachers do for one another. For a profession that can be incredibly isolating, it is full of people who go above and beyond for one another.

I have to say that I walked back to my room in a much better mood.

8 comments:

kirsten said...

Ahhh, yes, first lunch. I've had it as well. It's one of those things that I think becomes this shared necessity amongst teachers. One gets it one year, and then we pass on the responsibility the next year.

I'm so glad that the CD came at a good time -- isn't it amazing the way things sometimes show up when we need it?

Also, I must confess to a moment of panic after I'd sent it. I thought: But we've never even met! What if this just seems really creepy?

I'm quite glad it wasn't. ♥

Snippety Gibbet said...

Aren't blogging friends the best? I love the goodies that arrive in the mail from my buddies, whose faces I have never even seen.

Mandy said...

What a wonderful surprise, and at a much needed time! I totally understand the lunch frustration. With my fifth graders, it usually looks like me giving up part of my lunch so a few can finish up the homework that didn't get done. But I do understand how precious that time is!

It sounds like you're doing a great job with your first graders. I am amazed by what primary teachers do every day!

Julie Pippert said...

In K my daughter had 11 a.m. lunch and I thought, what? are you kidding? but 10:40?? Oy. Do they get afternoon snack???

Oh how great such a nice friend sent that disk! And what a perk to the day.

Kassia said...

I've just discovered your blog and love it. I think we teach in the same district, so it's interesting to read your perspective :-)

This is my blog if you're interested in checking it out.
www.occasionalchinchilla.blogspot.com
Kassia

Kassia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your lunch. I'm at 11am this year, which thrills me. (I had one year with lunch at 9:55, and another with Mondays at 9:50.) Hope your lot is better next year, too!

Anonymous said...

Good post.