- when students ask a question I don't know the answer to (happened first thing this morning, what a way to start the day!)
- learning for the sake of learning, not for grades or approval, but simply because they are fascinated by a topic - somehow we manage to stifle that as students grow older (great teachers rekindle it, but it is less natural as students age)
- students getting so engaged in a discussion or project that we're late for lunch (or music or PE or art or library...)
- unexpected words, phrases, or ideas that come from students - you never know what you'll hear in an elementary school
- family atmosphere - we spend so much time together we become a family, with all the positive and negative aspects
- being a rock star - elementary age students get shockingly excited to see teachers, their own or ones they recognize from around the school and they greet you as if you are famous
- the growth we get to see - students change so much, so quickly in elementary school - it is encouraging to see how much they have learned and developed over time
Reflections from an elementary school teacher on the joys and challenges of the job.
Monday, October 15, 2007
List of Loves
There are so many reasons I love teaching. After being out of the classroom for a week and a half, being back today was wonderful. So, here are a few of my favorite things:
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
What a great list! You make me want to go back to school today :) We do have great jobs, don't we?
So true about "rock star" status especially if you are in the building but the class has a guest teacher. It makes me smile!
I don't know how I missed this post! Love your list. You know how ed professors are always asking you to write about your philosophy of education? This is better, can still be revised as you go and is worth keeping in each version! thanks!
Post a Comment