Monday, January 02, 2012

A Fresh Start (or so it feels)

I will be heading back to school tomorrow after a week and a half off. A week and a half during which I thought very little about school. I had a wonderful time with my family, including my parents and sister. It's the most family focused I've been in quite some time and it was totally worth it.

My husband asked tonight what my plans were after our girls went to bed. I shrugged, thinking of my huge to-do list. He chuckled and asked, "What are you teaching tomorrow?" (He, as a college professor, doesn't go back for a couple more weeks although he does have a conference this week.) I realized I had no idea what I will teach tomorrow and that wasn't even on my mental to-do list. Time to get back in the swing of things.

There is an intern who began in my classroom before the holidays. His time there was sporadic and brief so I really think of him starting with us now.

I love working with pre-service teachers for a lot of reasons. The biggest one, I think, is that it pushes me to be at the top of my game. It requires me to reflect on what I am doing, the choices I am making, the language I am using, everything about my practice.

So, for the sake of my students and this wonderful intern I'm pulling myself out of the wondrous bubble in which I've been living and begin to pull my focus back to a job I love.

2 comments:

Dahlia said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the bubble...I can't believe that I actually relaxed this winter break. I actually feel energized! Amazing how that works!

I completely agree with you about being the best version of ourselves when we have others in the room. It's not that I think I'm terrible when I'm alone but I know I bring my A+ game when there are others with me. I used to chastise myself for this and feel terribly guilty, but now I just go with it...and find more ways to collaborate as a way to hold myself more accountable.

Jill Fisch said...

I smiled when I read your comment about being in a wondrous bubble. I was in one, too, during this winter break. Usually I end up doing lots of thinking, planning and professional reading on my breaks. Not this time - and I can totally relate to your post.