Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mo Excitement

I can't believe I haven't written about this. I wrote about my students writing a pigeon book, a la Mo Willems.

I did not write about the exciting twist that story took. Somehow Mo found our fabulous book and blogged about it himself! I was so excited when I read it that I emailed it to everyone I could think of.

Later that day I shared it with the kids. I showed them other posts on his blog first to help them understand the medium (they have no understanding of blogs). Then I showed them the post about our book.

Their response was not what I expected. As soon as they saw our title they all started screaming out, "He took our book!", "What's he doing with our book?" and such. I immediately set about reassuring them and telling them they should be excited. After a bit I think I convinced them and they were thrilled.

Later I realized that we had been working all week on writing new books. We were researching topics and trying to put things in our own words. In some small way I feel like they learned a great lesson (which I may have undermined with Mo's blog post).

8 comments:

Sarah said...

That's awesome! And hilarious!!

Snippety Gibbet said...

That's the coolest thing. Congratulations! jan

Teacher Tom said...

Holy cow, that's cool! And I'm not just talking about Mo Willems blogging about it. The book it awesome. Your kids are so lucky!

Launa Hall said...

SO great! And thanks for sharing about how your students had a completely different take on it than you anticipated--so interesting when that happens.

Melissa Sarno said...

I think it's hilarious that, even at that age, there is this proprietary nature of the things we create. That's very exciting you wrote a book together. Cool.

silly eagle books said...

This makes me laugh! How wonderful that Mo found your book.

beth said...

That's so cool! And you can show the kids that Mo linked to their book, not stole it. Heh heh.

MotherReader said...

Being a huge Mo fan, I think it's fantastic that he found and linked to your book. No, it's Mo-tastic.

(too much? I never know.)