Sunday, March 06, 2011

Value of Smiles

I think of myself as a glass-half-full kind of person, a happy, hopeful person. When I run sprint triathlons I typically smile the whole time, even though I'm pretty awful at them. Folks have remarked on it at a number of different races.

Lately, for some reason, I don't feel I've been smiling enough (as much?). My gut reaction when I glance at a student or at my daughters or at my husband is closer to a frown. The message I think I'm sending is that I don't trust or don't like what they're doing. Is that the message I believe? Is that why I'm less smiley? I don't know.

At a recent team meeting one teammate had a cup of coffee from Caribou. It had fun quotes all over it and I couldn't help but read as many as possible from where I was sitting. One really struck me.

"Smile first, ask questions later."

That's my new goal.

2 comments:

Marty said...

Just found your blog. Like the way you write. Like the books on your shelf. Like that you have spurred some ideas for me. Can't ask for more than that. Thanks a bunch.

Jenny said...

Marty, Thanks for the kind words.