Friday, June 17, 2011

Looking for Luck

We're losing another administrator. We keep losing great ones because they move up and on to wonderful things. It's fabulous for them. But it always hurts a bit.

I get it, change is hard. Unless an administrator is widely disliked (unlikely at our school, luckily) we don't want to see them go. Then, after they do, we are left filling their shoes. That's always uncertain, scary, iffy.

Right now feels like an exceptionally bad time for this. On the whole, our administration (a principal and two assistant principals) is pretty new still. So a change in it seems more shaky than normal.

Plus we're immensely overcrowded and that's impacting everything. People are fragile. More so than I've ever seen at this school.

And I know the power of the administration. It makes or breaks a school.

So I'm holding my breath, crossing my fingers, and searching for four leaf clovers.

5 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

Sometimes, you have to make your own luck, Little-Miss-has-an-admin-cert-and-won't-jump-in-the-pool. Hint. Hint.

Frau M. said...

Oh, I hate the uncertainty, too! If you have your administrator's certification, you should try. What's the worst that could happen? They say no thanks, and you continue to be a rockstar in the classroom that you love?

Jenny said...

Sadly, I don't have an administration certificate (or not so sadly). I am one class shy of it. Someday I'll manage to take that last class. Maybe.

I will admit though, I don't want the job. At least not right now.

So, I'll keep holding my breath and hoping for the best.

Rebecca said...

oh that is hard. we've had 3 different prncipals in the last 3 years. 1st one- moving on up, 2nd one-fired, 3rd one- is staying around. It's really hard on staff morale. Hope things go well at your school. Change is hard.

Summers School said...

Oh man, I know that feeling. Our sweet wonderful vice principal left to fill in as principal at another school and while there was in a car accident that has rendered her unable to work. We had a very sweet, competent lady fill in for her as our VP for the last half of the year, but she has retired now. :( I really hope they find someone as wonderful and sweet. Our principal is a wonderful woman who knows how to get her job done, but doesn't have a warm fuzzy bone in her body. The things she says can come off very caustic at times and there have been more than a few hurt feelings. Both of our VPs have been so sweet that they were able to sooth the hurt feelings and keep things moving in the right direction. We're horribly over crowed also (1,200+ students in a school meant for around 800) and we won't have a cafeteria this next year! (They're building a new one- why they couldn't build it in a new place THEN tear down the old one I'll never know.)

I'm a little stressed about the VP next year!!