Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Much Needed Boost

I spent more than eight hours packing up my classroom today. That's after a couple of hours on Monday and about four hours yesterday. By the end I was throwing things into boxes willy-nilly. That'll be fun in September.

By the time I got home I was wiped out. Got through dinner (made by my fabulous husband, thankfully) and daughters' long bedtime routine and was ready for some down time. Sitting at my desk in our bedroom I noticed a book written by a student who moved away a few months ago. It was sitting here from when I was scoring my students' writing samples for the year. Hers did not need to be scored since she moved so I set it aside.

I picked it up out of curiosity. It was written back in the fall and the change in first graders' writing in that time is dramatic so a quick glance seemed worthwhile.

I'm so glad I did. This made my day.




















































I love that she wrote about our wondering. I love that she already had our class name, ExploreOrrs, down so well. I love the details in her pictures. I love that she included the two other teachers who worked in our room this year. I love that when she remembered to include periods they are huge. I love the spelling of the end. The whole book just made me smile.

I love what I do. I love my students. I feel so lucky.

4 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

Congratulations on making to "The Ned" of your school year. Have a rejuvenating summer! (And see you on Sunday...)

Teacher Mum said...

How lucky we are to be in a profession where we constanly find little treasures and love what we do.
I wish it was the "Ned" of my school year too - we have to still get to December.
Froming reading your posts, I am positive that with your dedication and commitment to your job, you will need your break.
Enjoy and savour it.

A MilShelb Mom said...

Oh I just love it! Precious!
~Maggie

Sarah said...

What a perfect end to a long and tedious day in the classroom spent doing the less-desirable part of the job!! :D